Home for Life and Death was wherever they happened to meet on a personal basis. Death sat before the fire as he sharpened his scythe. He didn't need a fire, but he liked the coziness of it. Life sat in a rocking chair next to him as she knitted. She was not very good at it. She had never done it before. But she was determined to learn. She wanted the baby growing inside her round belly to have things she had made with her own hands.
“How does that look?” Life asked as she held up her knitting.
Death glanced up at it. “It's... very nice, Dear. What is it?”
Life sighed, “It's supposed to be a hat.”
“Oh. Well, now that I look at it, it does look like one, doesn't it?”
“No, it doesn't. It's terrible.”
“It's fine,” said Death taking it from her and placing it on his head. “See? A hat.” It was far too small for him, and had no shape whatsoever.
Life laughed and snatched it off his head. He grabbed her, sat her on his lap, and followed up with a kiss. “No matter what you make, or don't make, our child will know that he or she is loved.”
“Death?”
“Yes, Dear?”
“I'm having a girl.”
He stared at her. “A girl?” A huge smile creased his face. “When did you find out?”
“This afternoon, the Creator told me.”
------
The time came for Life to deliver her baby. Death was a nervous wreck. He had seen so few births in his time, at least live ones, that, as old as he was, he had no idea how to go about it. He was worried that if he stayed he would endanger the baby. Life laughed at him and reassured him that everything would be fine.
“But, what do I do? I don't know how to deliver a baby!”
“Get a midwife.”
“What? A mortal!? What if she drops it!”
Life laughed again. “And you wouldn't? You've never even held a baby before! Get the Dwarf midwife, Eylyn. She is very skilled. Believe me, I've attended enough births to know.”
“But what if she...”
“No buts. Just bring her here to me please.”
“Yes, Dear.” Death kissed his wife and went to the midwife's. He didn't bother with time or space and was at her door in the blink of an eye. He was in such a panicked hurry that he nearly went through it, like he usually did. He composed himself as much as he could and knocked loudly. Where was she? Why wasn't she answering? He knocked again. And again. And again.
Finally, she opened the door. “Patience, young man. You could give a body time to get to the door before knocking it down.”
“What? I'm sorry. I've never knocked on a door before.”
“You've never- What?”
“Well, usually- never mind all that. My wife is having a baby and I need your help.”
“Why didn't you say so? Wait here while I get dressed.”
Death stepped into her small living room. It was sparsely furnished and doubled as a kitchen. The midwife went into her bedroom and closed the door.
Death paced the floor.
Eventually, she came out again and picked up a bag she kept by the door. “I'm ready.” She followed Death out the door, pausing long enough to lock her house. “Now, where do you live?”
Death hesitated. He couldn't tell her, because he didn't really know. So, he cheated. He brought his home to them. “Just there, in the woods.”
She stared at the cottage nestled among the trees. “That house wasn't there before!”
“We're fast builders. If we could hurry, please? My wife is ready for you.”
The midwife hurried after the frenzied father-to-be, wondering how she did not notice new neighbors building a house.
Life had been right about the midwife. She was very good and very confident in her skills. Eylyn was also confident that this birth was unusual. The presence that attended her at births was very strong, but so was the other presence, the one that attended the deaths. She was afraid the baby would not live, but the feelings there were so odd that she wasn't sure.
When the baby girl was delivered, the midwife handed her to Life. Life looked adoringly into her daughter's face, then up at her husband. “Isn't she beautiful?”
“Yes. She is.” He leaned over and kissed them both. Then, turning to the midwife, said, “Thank you for your services. What can we do to repay you?”
“A drink of water would be nice.”
“Yes, of course.” He went out and was back in just a few seconds. He handed the water to the midwife and stood over his wife.
“Would you like to hold her?” Life asked.
“I'm not sure if that is a good idea.”
“Don't be silly. It'll be fine. Here. Take her... Not like that. Hold your arms like a cradle. There.”
“And you said I would drop her,” said a happy Death.
“You almost did.”
“Well, I didn't. She's so small and perfect.”
“What is her name?” the midwife asked.
“What?” Life and Death asked together.
“Her name? Come now, you knew you were having a baby before this. You must have chosen a name for her.” The midwife fished through her bag for her birth book and pencil.
Life and Death just looked at each other. They had never given the matter of a name any thought. They had never had a child before. Death had never been to a birth where a name was important. Life had, but there were so many births, she had never stuck around long enough for a naming.
“Um... well... I guess we were so excited about having a baby we didn't- I mean we don't-” Death was at a loss.
“We'll name her after you,” said Life to the midwife.
“Eylyn." She wrote the name in her book. "What are your names?”
Life and Death looked at each other, uncertain what to say.
“Life,” said Life.
“Death,” said Death.
Eylyn wrote their responses down immediately. Life and Death were worried. They were being recorded. After the midwife had returned home, they took their happy home and disappeared.
Elizabeth Williamson Copyright © 2010
5 comments:
Nice tale of baby naming. I like how you explained everything neatly-- why Life and Death don't know about baby delivery and naming etc.
The one thing I struggle with is the ending. It essentially goes from a story about naming to a story about Eyly's confusion about where the house went, and was it a dream? See what I mean?
Aren't Life and Death 'taken' characters?
I hope this makes sense, I haven't slept since 3 pm yesterday. Zzzzzzz
um what do you mean by taken characters?
i see what you mean about the end. i just knocked off that last paragraph.
Aren't they characters from a published book? From Discworld? Maybe not. That's all I meant by taken.
life is not. death is in discworld but he is different. besides the grim reaper has been around in human folklore for centuries. he is not owned. and my death actually has flesh, not just bones.
Post a Comment