Tuesday, June 15, 2010

DWARVES AND THEIR GOLD

Ydoc, the Gnome, converses with the Dwarves, Eric, Dave and Mike. They are brothers and have spent many years in various countries on Earth.


“Do all Dwarves go to the Human World?”


“Just University students and researchers,” says Dave. “I work in the history department, so I’ve traveled all over collecting information.”


“Do Elves and Gnomes ever go to the Human World?”


“Never,” says Mike. “They don’t even know that Humans exist.”


“It's just research? Do Dwarf children ever go?”


“Nope,” says Eric. “Only adults.”


“Yeah, we don’t want our children to be Human. We want them to be Dwarves with Dwarf values,” says Mike.


“So what do Dwarves value?”


Dave ticks things off on his fingers as he lists, “Axes, wealth, hard work, money, knowledge, gold, fighting skills, silver, hearty meals, jewels, exploration of worlds and technology, money, family, silver, metalwork, gold, beards, jewels, community and did I mention wealth?"


"It's possible."


"Well that's the important thing. Dwarves work hard for their wealth. Thievery is not tolerated, nor is laziness," says Mike.


Ydoc thinks about this. He is unusual, besides being something of a giant among his people, he grew up on Earth. Dwarf values were not too far off the mark for Humans. Well, Humans generally didn't care about axes and beards, but they sure seemed to value their wealth. He shrugs his shoulders, figuring if he pointed out the similarities, they would never forgive him for it. "Sounds reasonable to me."


The Dwarves grin. "It's nice to meet a Gnome with a good head on his shoulders," says Eric.




Elizabeth Williamson Copyright © 2010

2 comments:

yume wa hen said...

I can clearly see Dwarves being free-market capitalists. Ones that know how to LEGITIMATELY earn their own. There are usually problems that come along with placing too much importance on wealth, though. Big ones.

Ken Chandler said...

Interesting drawing the parallel between Earthlings and Dwarves; though I should have seen the similarities. Well done, though I can't figure out how to pronounce Ydoc. And wouldn't Dave be David, etc.?