Tuesday, September 28, 2010

RIVER OF DREAMS - BILLY JOEL

The river is wide and it’s too hard to cross.


There are others by the river, unsure what they are doing there. Many turn away, but there are those, like me, who have been searching long and hard for something.


Something so undefined, that it can only be seen by the eyes of the blind.


What is it? I don’t know. Are we all searching for the same thing?


I must be looking for something, something sacred I lost.


Should I ask them? They are so far away. I couldn’t possibly reach them. Maybe-


From the mountains of faith to the river so deep.


-I will try. There is an old man upstream from me. He looks up as I approach. “Good day, sir. What brings you to the river?”


“I don’t know. I am lost.”


“Where are you trying to go?”


“The other side, but I don’t know the way.”


“Me too. Perhaps we can find a way together?”


“Yes, I think we could.”


Through the valley of fear to a river so deep.


We search, but there is no way across. We stop and talk to a young girl. “Have you come looking for something, too?”


“Yes, but I can’t remember what it was.”


“Is it on the other side of the river?”


“I think so.”


“Would you like to join us?”


She nods.


Through the jungle of doubt to the river so deep.


There is no way across. I have many companions now, none of whom know what it is that brought them here.


Through the desert of truth to the river so deep.


The old man makes a suggesting that blows us all away.


“If we work together, we could build a bridge.”


Why didn’t I think of that? We set to work.


I’ve been searching for something taken out of my soul. Something I’d never loose. Something somebody stole.


The bridge is strong and spans the river. We cross. The opposite bank is beautiful.


The old man finds his wife.


The young girl remembers her past.


Another man finds a friend.


A woman sings.


I watch them all. They are so happy. I rejoice with them.


There is a light ahead. It is what I have been searching for. At last.


We all end in the ocean. We all start in the stream. We’re all carried along by the river of dreams, in the middle of the night.



Elizabeth Williamson Copyright © 2010

No comments: