Monday, October 25, 2010

MERLIN AND THE OLD MAN

The old man doddered around the cluttered room. Papers and test tubes covered every surface. He muttered to himself as he worked. "A squish of rat tail. Flip the corn seed, and..."

A fume of colored smoke filled the apartment. The old man coughs.

Merlin, a black tomcat, jumped onto the windowsill and placed his paw on the glass. The glass disappeared and the smoke billowed out of the room.

The old man ceased his coughing. "What did I do wrong?" He read the book again.

The window glass reappeared and Merlin jumped up on the table next the old man. He meowed and rubbed up against him.

"I'm sorry, my friend. I forgot your lunch." The old man set down the book and went into the kitchen.

Merlin flipped through the pages of the book. When he found what he was looking for, he picked up a pencil and made a note in the margin by the spell the old man was trying to do.

"Here, kitty."

Merlin went into the kitchen and the old man returned. He picked up the book again. "Oh, I must have forgotten- How silly of me."

He repeated the spell. This time, instead of a cloud of smoke, a ray of light danced across the walls. "I did it! Sunless sunshine!"

He ran into the kitchen, grabbed Merlin and showed him the the sun ray. Merlin purred. The old man hugged the cat, set him on the floor, and continued his work.


Elizabeth Williamson Copyright © 2010

3 comments:

Ken Chandler said...

Short and sweet! Nicely done Beth. You really should give cats more credit... you're so hard on them. : )

One thing, I was confused about the one point. He set the book down, but did he close it? You say a moment later that Merlin flips through the pages to find the spot where the old man had been. So I guess he did close the book. That threw me off.

Anonymous said...

the old man set down the open book and merlin flipped to a different page

Ken Chandler said...

Ah! Thanks for the clarification.