Thursday, January 27, 2011

BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH

The Dwarf town of Loronda was in a tizzy as the inhabitants prepared for the festival of New Spring. The first day of spring on Orean was also the first day of the year. It was a week-long festival that included feasts, gifts, dancing, performances of all kinds and general merriment.

Eylyn had never attended a seasonal festival, much less the spring one. Wylue, her trainer in midwifery, had told her much of it and had asked her if she had a dress for special occasions.
Eylyn said no, she hadn't, but would ask her parents.

“A party dress?” asked Life. “I could whip up something... yes... made from the very elements of the earth...” Which is what she did. Plants, ground, animals, air, their essences came together in Life's hands to create a dress with no compare.


Eylyn admired it and said, “I didn't know you could do that.”


“It is a dress of Life.”


“Will you wear one dress all week?”


Eylyn spun around. “Daddy!” She hugged Death. “When did you get here?”


“Just now. Were you not going to ask me for help?”


“Could you do that?” she pointed at the dress Life held.


“I use light, shadows, emotions and unknowns.” In Death's hands was another dress that was indescribable. “Now you have a day dress and a night dress.”


“We can make you a full wardrobe,” said Life.


“Will you two come to the festival?”


“Perhaps.”


Eylyn showed her new wardrobe to Wylue. “I have never seen anything like them.”


“My parents made them.
Do you think they are too fine?”

“Nothing is too fine for the New Spring Festival.”


The festivities began with dinner and dance the night before New Spring. Eylyn was wearing one of the dresses Death had made. It was deep blue with sparkling jewels. She was made much of by the men in the town. She had not lived there long, and she had only met those few families who had new babies in their homes, and Wylue's family.


She was invited to sit at Lord Jortho's table in the city square. He owned much of the town and surrounding land. Eylyn was disappointed that she could not sit with Orlo, Wylue's grandson, but she felt she could not refuse. She sat next to Jortho's son Qerx.
“Where are you from, Eylyn?” he asked her.

“I was born here, but never lived here until recently.”


“Where else have you lived?”


“Everywhere and nowhere.”


Are your parents Entertainers?”

“They are Life and Death.”


“Life and Death have a daughter?” Qerx's head reeled.
"Are you an immortal?"

"I don't know."

"How can you not know? Have you ever asked?"

"My parents don't know either. We asked the Creator, but he would not tell us."

When the dancing began, Qerx was the first to dance with Eylyn. She danced every dance with someone new. When she thought she could sit for a minute, someone asked her, and she would have to dance again. Her feet were very tired, and she had determined to refuse the next person who asked her.


“Would you honor me with a dance, my friend?”


“Orlo! Yes! I would love to.”
Eylyn was happy just to be with him.

Orlo was thinking how best to tell her he had been wrong. “I went to the midwife in the town west of here,” said Orlo. “She told me the same thing you did about the book. She said it was the same everywhere. I must admit it is not easy for me to accept, but I believe you.”
They had had many arguments over the years about her parents. She had finally showed him the midwife's book that had recorded her birth in an attempt to convince him. The book never lies.

She hugged him. “Now we can be even better friends.”


Orlo laughed. “Is that possible?”


“Anything is possible.”
They danced throughout the dance merrily, and when it was done, Eylyn asked Orlo, “Could we go to a quiet place where I may sit? I have not been able to rest my feet since supper.”

“I'm sorry. If I had known, I wouldn't have asked you to dance.”


“It is alright. I was happy to dance with you.”
Eylyn spent every moment she could with Orlo, but she was often called away by others.

Orlo's friends liked her.
“She is a beautiful young woman,” said Korar. “How long have you known her?”

“Since we were children. She is apprenticed to my grandmother.”


“You have known her all these years, and kept her to yourself?” said Wyron.


“Some friend you are.” said Korar.


“Although, I would have done no different,” said Wyron.


“Are you courting her?” asked Korar.
This question startled Orlo. He shook his head. He had never thought of Eylyn as anything but a friend. “Good,” said Korar.

“I need to go do something,” said Wyron.
He went to find Eylyn.

"He moves quick," said Korar.

“You could find her first,” said Orlo's mouth without the consent of his brain.


The festival continued throughout the night and into morning. The New Spring Festival would not cease for another week, continuing through days and nights. Eylyn did not need sleep. Sleep was something she did to appease Wylue. She went home and slept a short while and returned early the next morning wearing one of Life's dresses. It was brown as the earth, soft as fur and smooth as silk.


There were mostly children at the festival in the mornings. They had not stayed up all night celebrating. There were comedy plays, breakfast and games to entertain them. Eylyn watched the plays, ate breakfast and played games with the children. As the morning wore on, more people came. By afternoon there were as many people as the previous night.


“Good day, Friend.”


"Good day, Orlo. Have you just arrived?”
asked Eylyn.

“Yes. You?”


“I've been here since early morning.”


“Did you sleep at all?”


“A little. It disturbs your grandmother if I don't.”


“Aren't you tired?”


“I don't usually sleep. My parents never do.”


“Grandma's right, it is disturbing.”


“Why?”


“Sleep renews our energy. It's impossible for someone to not need it.”


“Nothing is impossible.”


They spent the rest of the afternoon together. Orlo's friends joined them.

“Eylyn!” They turned to see Qerx coming towards them. “Eylyn, would you care join me again this evening?”


Eylyn looked at Orlo, who shrugged. “I would be honored. I'll see you later, Orlo.”


“Why do you spend your time with a blacksmith's son?” Qerx asked.


“Why do you spend your time with a midwife's apprentice?”


“As the daughter of Life and Death, you are noble born, like me. Nobility associates with nobility.”


“Life and Death are neither noble nor common. They are.”


There was a stir in the crowd. Qerx and Eylyn turned to see what had everyone's attention. It was Life and Death. “Mama! Daddy!” Eylyn greeted them. “I'm glad you came.” Qerx cleared his throat. “Oh, Mama, Daddy, this is Qerx. His father is the Lord of this area. Qerx, these are my parents, Life and Death.”


“I am honored to meet you. Won't you join us at our table.”
Life and Death followed Qerx and Eylyn. Everyone they passed experienced peaceful chills. The stir continued. Life and Death were introduced to Lord Jortho, who was very honored.

“What brings you to our humble celebration?”


“Our daughter. She is apprenticed to the midwife,” said Life.


“You mean the young lady sitting beside my son is learning to be a midwife?”


“She wanted a job.”


“The daughter of Life and Death a midwife?”


“That's what I said.”


“Astonishing.
I would think she would prefer to be a Lady or even a Queen. She could you know.”

“What does it matter? Lady or midwife, it is all the same to us. Everyone is born and everyone dies.”


“Are you enjoying yourself, Eylyn?” asked Death.


“Yes, Daddy. I've been here almost the whole time. I went home for a couple hours sleep late last night, and was back here early this morning.”


“Do you still sleep?”


“I sleep to ease Wylue's mind. It disturbs her if I don't.”


“That's mortals for you.”


Qerx choked. “Are you alright?” asked Eylyn.


“Fine,” he gasped. “The dancing has begun. Would you do me the honor?”


“Certainly. Dance with me later, Daddy?”
Death nodded and watched them go. Orlo was not the only one interested in his daughter. Death turned to his wife and asked her to dance with him.

“We have not danced together in a long time,” said Life as they whirled about the square.


“Time,” said Death.


“It is what happens between life and death.”


“Between us.”


Life laughed, “Yes. In a sense.”


Death looks at their daughter. "That is who she is."

When the dance was done, Eylyn sought out her father before any young man could seek her out. “You promised to dance with me, Daddy.” Death excused himself from Life and joined his daughter.


“Would you honor me with a dance, Life?”
asked Orlo.

“I'd love to. How have you been, Orlo?”


“I have learned my father's trade since last we met.”


“Do you have his skill?”


“I wish. My father is the best blacksmith in the area.”


“I once visited a mother who wore iron jewelry so fine and delicate, I had at first thought it was silver.”


“That would be a challenge.”


“You can do anything you put your mind to,” said Life.

Death gave his daughter a twirl. "Stop everything."

Eylyn stopped. All around them was still as though someone had set the world on pause. Eylyn looked around, stunned. Life, Orlo in hand, joined them.

Orlo was the only mortal able to move. "What happened?" he asked.

"Eylyn is Time," said Death.

Life hugged Eylyn. "You're an immortal!"

Eylyn smiled. "I'll never die?"

"Never," said Death.

The three rejoiced together while Orlo watched. He felt as though something precious had been torn from him.

The world resumed its course. Life and Death were gone.
Eylyn hugged Orlo. "Isn't this wonderful? I'll live forever!"

"Yeah."


"What's the matter, Orlo?"

"I can't spend forever with you."

Eylyn's face went white. "Why not?"

"Because, I am a mortal."

Eylyn kissed him. Orlo's friends and Qerx moaned. They had no chance. "I'm Time. I can stop your clock."



Elizabeth Williamson Copyright © 2011

2 comments:

yume wa hen said...

I have an almost irresistible urge to rewrite this. Don't take that the wrong way, I like it and it has potential. There are certain parts that don't quite make sense and I had to read it a couple times to get it. I kinda feel like I could take this and write something really good. All it needs is more feeling, more romance, more... magic!

Anonymous said...

i see. what parts specifically?