topic: Building Blocks
Nancy sat daydreaming. What would her day be like? Here she was in the big city, looking for a new job. What she wouldn’t give to be able to review that class she took on interpretive business. She felt like she was going out on a limb!
All the ad said was, looking for business major interested in unique approaches to helping derelict youths, handicapped, and elderly to find success opportunities in areas of unusual but useful services that would lead to new business ventures (new companies) that could make a difference in communities. Who could do that? Who could understand what it meant?
Still, it left her mind bristling with the possibilities! Everyone knew Nancy was a very unique thinker in the business arena, doing the impossible, making inroads in very unusual places, with a keen sense of timing that was almost uncanny.
A soft breeze fluttered through her wispy hair. How she missed the delicate snowflakes and the crisp air of Acadia. Determined in her goal, she deliberately tossed her head and pushed her thoughts forward to the city dump.
“May I help you?”
“Yes, I’m Ms Nancy Selman. I have an appointment to see Mr. Boulder.”
“I will let him know you’re here.”
Certainly the offices were no ordinary setting to even the casual observer; they were in stark contrast to the rest of the surroundings like a beautiful lake to a smelly mud puddle. Or a beautiful mansion to a lean-to.
“Mr. Boulder will see you now.”
“Ms Selman! I am honored to finally meet you! Please have a seat. I have followed your business ventures with great interest!”
Mr Boulder offered sparkling grape juice or ice water with a deliberate flair. Would she care for some imported chocolates? Would she have another book published soon? Had she read his latest book? He was so gracious, she wondered if he would get to the subject of her purpose in being there.
As she sat in her crisp business suit sipping her beverage, Nancy perceived that Mr Boulder would hire her immediately, at any cost, if only she dared to accept the position.
Mr Boulder breathed a great sigh of relief as Nancy acknowledged her sincere interest in the project. Would she accept?
“Draw up the papers. Can you have them ready by Friday?”
“Gladly! Thank you! Thank you!” he exclaimed as he fairly bounced around the room.
As she was leaving, her thoughts turned again to Acadia. Soon she would return to Acadia.
M A Williamson Copyright © 2008
3 comments:
Mom, is the Acadia that she's referring to the town that borders the seaside Acadia Nation Park? Or does she actually live 'in' the park?
My question is this, is she just a small-town girl?
That aside, I really like your story, the pacing, the way we're inside her head. There's so much that makes me want to read more of your story.
There are some thing left unsaid, that make me wonder about her character, mainly who is she? What makes her so qualified for a job (at a city dump)? ...that takes care of the elderly and disabled? and provides job opportunities into other areas?
Do you see my confusion?
There are some areas that, at least to my feeble mind, need clarification. Doctor, can you help me?
I honestly didn't know that you were such a talented writer Mom, as evidenced by these last two posts. Not to put the pressure on you, but I enjoy your writing style.
LOL again! {I loved your comment on next topic! (for children, w/ dog)}
I read only the building blocks instruction before reading any of the stories, in order to keep an open mind.
Since Beth asked if I would do the next topic, I figured I had to get the Building Blocks topic done! So, I stayed up late (too late) and whipped that out of my brain. I pretty much wrote it without thought as to what's next; I got to the point where I had to come up with an end so I could go to bed. When I was done, it hit me: if others found it interesting, they would want to know more, because it read like the first installment of a serial! I can't do the next installment because I don't even know where this installment came from!
As for Acadia, I wanted to come up with an unusual name, but at the end, I was too tired to think. Should I have made a simple switch like Adacia? I did change Mr Wimpole to Mr Boulder after I got done.
Yes, I knew that getting the story "fleshed out" would be required in the next chapter. Whereas I thought of it here, there's not time for such a thing and still stay under the required words. It would rob from the story and make the explanations too high of a percentage for the length.
Is this reply comment too long?
M
how's about a blank space between your paragraphs? blogger doesn't do indents.
Post a Comment