Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Here is my story - it is a very rough draft and it is meant to have illustrations so please imagine cute pictures to go along with it.

Once there was a lovely boy named William, who had a dog named Sam. William and Sam had a hobby of collecting stamps. I know this sounds strange for a boy and his dog to do together but living in the rainiest town in England running around outside made for runny noises and muddy floors. Plus bowling was already taken by Charlie and his dog Bon Bon.

One day William ran out of money to by stamps. "Mum, can I have a pound to buy some stamps?"
He asked.
"Oh, Willy we can't afford a pence let alone a pound, I'm sorry." His mum replied sadly.
"Sorry, Sam looks like no more stamps for us." Sam whimpered in reply.
"Willy, why don't you send a letter to your Aunt Dottie and ask her for some American stamps? You know she would love to help her little William out."
William jumped out of his chair, ran to his desk, penned a letter, and gave it to Sam to take to the mailbox without even taking a breath.

William's letter traveled by boat, then plane, then truck to get all the way to dear Aunt Dottie. Aunt Dottie was so excited to get William's letter that she grabbed her cat Frankie and spun around. "Of course I will send you stamps my dear boy." She said as she laughed. "Now, I just need to remember to go to the post office tomorrow." She looked around for somewhere to put William's letter where she would remember. There didn't seem to be anywhere suitable for such an important letter. Then the brilliant thought came to her. "I shall put it in my jacket pocket that way I will be sure to remember." She told Frankie who was still a bit wobbly from the spin. Then Aunt Dottie went to bed. Aunt Dottie's idea to put the note in her jacket would have been brilliant if she lived in England or Alaska where the weather was quite predictable, but she didn't live in England nor Alaska she lived in Utah. The place where in April you could expect snow, rain, sleet, hail, or sunshine. In this case snow, rain, sleet, or hail would have been prefered but this just happened to be the year for sunshine. When Aunt Dottie woke up she was so excited to see so much sunshine that she forgot about her jacket and also little Williams note.

William and Sam watched for the postman every day and every day they were disappointed to not get a letter from Aunt Dottie. "Maybe she forgot us, Sam?"

Meanwhile Aunt Dottie was enjoying the hottest April in history. Then suddenly a strange wind blew and heavy clouds crowned the sky. "Well, Frankie looks like the heat wave is over." Aunt Dottie said as she took her jacket out of the closet and put it near the door for the next morning. It looked like William and Sam would finally get their stamps. That was until Frankie decided to make a bed out of Aunt Dottie's alarm clock. Aunt Dottie woke up so late that she ran out the door with curlers in her hair, half her make up off, and sadly no jacket.

"Look Sam, here comes the Postman," William said hopefully, "and there goes the Postman." He said sadly as the Postman walked by his house without stopping.

It was a very very rainy morning at Aunt Dottie's house and just as she was about to put on her jacket to go out a gust of wind blew the neighbors giant umbrella into her yard landing perfectly between Aunt Dottie's house and her car. 'What Luck,' Aunt Dottie thought as she put her jacket down and walked under the miraculously placed umbrella.

Back in the rainiest town in England William and Sam tried a new hobby since no stamps were coming, indoor Rugby. This hobby was very short lived after seven dishes, three lamps, and one big toe were broken.

Finally it was the perfect weather for Aunt Dottie to wear her jacket. There were no cats on alarm clocks, no umbrellas, and no unusually hot days. Aunt Dottie pulled her jacket on, put her hands in her pockets, and felt a piece of paper. She pulled it out then realized that it was little Williams note. "Oh, no the stamps!" She yelled to Frankie as she ran out the door.

William and Sam were playing in the rain when the postman brought the giant box to the door. 'Could it be?' thought William. He ripped the package open uncovering the biggest pile of stamps he had ever seen but the best part of the package was the note from Aunt Dottie.

"My Dearest William and you to Sam,
I may have forgotten your stamps for a time but I never ever forgot about you. I love you a million times over. Love, your forgetful Aunt Dottie.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, that was jolly. i liked it. it reminded me of my mom. she's forgetful. unfortunately, so am i. anyway i think this would be a great picture book. i think kids would like it. i like the detail of waiting for the postman and picking up a new hobby.

Ken Chandler said...

I like how the story goes full circle, but makes us wait for it. There's a good bit of tension in there to make us hold on for the happy ending. Nice!

Ken Chandler said...

"I know this sounds strange for a boy and his dog to do together but living in the rainiest town in England running around outside made for runny noises and muddy floors."

Did you mean to say "noses"? or "running noises"? Hey, somebody has to give you a hard time, and if I can't... well, that's just not fair.

Ken Chandler said...

Oh, and Jana, great pictures! I had to imagine them, but they turned out great. I've always liked the feel of watercolors. Who's your illustrator?

Anonymous said...

Chuckle! Ken, I love your humor! (Watercolor, eh? LOL)
Janya, good story!
MW