"But they are happy now."
"They were happy before. They had each other. They loved each other. They learned from each other."
"You're not going to change her back are you?"
"You are concerned?"
"No, but it would be difficult to understand why their suddenly cured daughter has reverted to what she was before."
"No. I won't change her back, but not because of confusion, but because of love. I couldn't do that to them. It would tear them apart."
"Really? Why?"
"Do you remember when you were mortal?"
"Yes. I was born and then I died a short time later. Susan only held me once."
"Then what did your mortal mother do?"
"She cried, for a very long time. I never could understand why. I got what I came for, then went back to Father."
"Did it ever occur to you that she loved you?"
"Of course she did. I was happy. Why wasn't she?"
"You just don't get it, do you? Mortals forget over time. They don't remember what eternity is like. They can't see it like you and I do. Many of them believe that their mortal existence is all they have."
"Susan cried because she didn't know I still existed and was happy? I find that hard to believe."
"Your life was so brief you didn't have time to forget. That is why I am allowing you to remain here with my children. Learn from them."
"But don't make them perfect?"
"People need their imperfections to become more than they are."
"But, if they were perfect, then they would be more than they are."
"Trust me on this, Rachel. Use the resources they have available. Don't just fix them because you can."
Elizabeth Williamson Copyright © 2009
4 comments:
rachel is the same character that is in my story titled Space
i just realized that i have a story that is already completely dialogue. shall i post it? or the beginning anyway? it's very amusing
Well, I never thought of posting twice for one topic, but since things are a little slow, I'm not going to deny you a second post. So go ahead.
The dialogue was complete. I felt it was a difficult read without much activity or plot to follow.
Maybe a scene - a cloud or a tree top... a watching spot unseen by others.
I hope this doesn't seem critical -
because I like the sentiment and the thoughtfulness of the story.
-Alisa
Post a Comment