Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Monsters In My Attic

Thanks for the invite Beth. And apologies for not submitting sooner.

This is a piece I wrote in anticipation of entering it in a Halloween Short Story Contest (500 words or less). It was never submitted. I've modified it about 3 times before this version, so I hope it works. Tell me what you think. Thanks!
Ken



Monsters In My Attic
Ken Chandler Copyright © October 2007


My parents had warned me not to go to the forbidden place, but had never, to my satisfaction, explained why. I nudged the door open. It creaked softly. I heard a teacup set down on a saucer and a scratchy hysterical voice said something I couldn’t understand. A second, deeper voice grumbled words equally unintelligible, and then silence fell over the room like fog. I crept forward on all fours toward the door leading to the room where the creatures were and peered cautiously around the frame. There, sitting a few feet apart, was two of the most incredible things I’d ever seen.

The one furthest from me had four eyes and long blue-gray hair. Its wrinkled leathery skin was stretched over decaying bones. Boney fingers that ended in long dagger-like nails were spinning a gossamer web. The other creature had only one eye, no hair on top of its head. It was thick and heavy, with strong fingers. It grumbled something as it shifted its immense bulk.

I leaned forward in my curiosity to see the creatures better, and the thin ones four eyes snapped around as it saw me. It screamed and pointed a boney finger at me. I saw the massive figure lift a club as it clambered to its feet. Its one large eye glared at me as it hobbled forward, its thunderous voice now joined the others’ shrill cries. I darted toward the door as the club crashed down on the floor behind me. I pushed through the door and ran down the stairs. The heavy creature lumbered behind me bellowing unfamiliar words and swinging its club, which smashed into walls and knocked things off shelves. In it’s fury it smashed the light bulb in the ceiling. Dreary blackness overshadowed everything.

The darkness seemed to make it retreat a few steps back. It scratched at a black patch where its other eye might have been hidden. It turned toward the stairs again and I heard its heavy breathing grew increasingly quiet as it ascended to the upper floor. When the door closed with a bang I staggered toward the hole my father had cut in the wall and saw my mother giving me a concerned look.
“Mako, you went to the surface, didn’t you? Even after we warned you not to go?”
I nodded staring at my feet.
“And now you know why we warned you not to go among the humans.”
I nodded again, and tears stained my cheeks.
She put an arm around me and led me to my cave, where my nest awaited me. As we walked she told me about the human world and the mysteries of their phones, refrigerators, and cars, and the dangers of their dogs and guns.
She crawled into my nest and lay behind me and put her two right arms around me. As she trilled my favorite song I closed my six eyes and dreamed of the wonders of life among the humans.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

no hair but long hairy fingers? maybe specify no hair on top of head. 3rd paragraph "thin ONE'S four eyes," you forgot the '.
it's fun and exciting. the human twist at the end was fun too. it seems as though mako will be making more ventures to the surface.
what is mako? 4 legs and 6 eyes?

Ken Chandler said...

I'll wait to get more feedback before commenting. I'd like to see if everyone 'gets it', or if there are things that need to be more blatant in order to make sense. I hope it's clear, the story I was trying to tell.

Ken Chandler said...

Actually, you wouldn't say "...thin one is four eyes..." if you say ONE'S, that's what you're saying.

I think he's learned his lesson. :)

Anonymous said...

no it's possessive. not a contraction. only its doesn't use an ' for possesion. the story made sense to me

Anonymous said...

A skinny, wrinkles old lady and a fat old man who's lost an eye would sound scary to me when I was a child. Actually, I knew a sweet old lady that looked like that. I was kind of afraid, even though she was very nice.
M

Rose said...

I got it after I had read it twice. Mako is a rat, isn't he?

Ken Chandler said...

Okay, spoiler:

This is a story about a little monster, Mako, who lives in an underground home, which is attached to the basement of the home of a large old man and a spindly old woman. He knows them as the monsters who live in his attic (they live on the floor above his home).

I wanted to give the impression that he was human and seeing monsters that live in his attic; only at the end revealing the whole truth about setting, characters, circumstances, etc.

So that's it. Did I succeed?

Anonymous said...

yep that's the impression i got