Yesterday afternoon, at the Koo Zoo, the Bengal tiger stuck his tongue out at his viewers and played a colorful roulette with his stripes. The black and orange whirled, finally settling on grey and green.
John Case, a 12 year old visitor at the zoo reported, "It was the coolest thing I ever saw! The black and orange blurred into brown and then a whole bunch of colors joined in. It was awesome!"
The now grey and green Bengal sat watching the scene of reporters and photographers making a fuss over him. After several minutes of sitting absolutely still, he spoke. "As you all well know, tigers are colored to blend in with their surroundings. The thought occurred to me that there is neither orange nor black in my mock habitat, so I thought I had better adapt. As you can see, my home here is mainly rock and trees, hence my choice of colors. Now, if you will excuse me, it is time for my dinner."
The Bengal refused all further comment, despite many pleas to speak once more. After his dinner, the tiger took a nap in the sun, wearing his new colors. He has remained silent since that time.
Elizabeth Williamson Copyright © 2008
2 comments:
I can see your story in my imagination. That would make a fun children's story.
I really enjoy your posts. Keep the stories coming. - Alisa
Funny! I like the play on the phrase "Changes his Stripes". I agree, this is a fun story, though if it were a childrens story it would have to end differently. More playfully. Happy endings are what kids stories are all about after all. Closure is good.
Trying to figure out why the tiger stuck his tongue out at everyone before changing his colors. Just seems out of place. May just be me.
I'm not convinced that a 12 year old would say "...and had a party on the tiger's fur." It's just too 2nd grader speak. I do thing he'd say, "that was the coolest thing ever!"
I found it amusing that the tiger would explain the thought process behind his decision. Let's hear it for evolution! Wah, wah!
Post a Comment