My family is always going somewhere or doing something.We did some great things this summer. On the fourth of July my best friend Bobby and his family traveled with us to my grandparents’ house.We spent the whole day together hiking and swimming.The best part of the day was when my dad fired off a bag full of really awesome fireworks. The neighbor called the cops because they made so much noise. Last month we went camping and I caught the biggest, ugliest, catfish in the whole river. When we went to the carnival we rode every ride in the park. Bobby and I rode the Twist and Hurl, twice; it’s the scariest roller coaster in the whole wide world. Last week, at the neighborhood picnic, Bobby ate so much ice cream and cake he puked on the neighbor’s dog.
My dad says he wouldn’t call us trouble makers, but, if trouble was missing
we’d be the first to find it.
It was Wednesday and we had a lot of errands to run thank goodness Bobby and his mom where along for the ride.“Well Oliver, Friday is the last time this summer you can sleepover Bobby’s house.” Mom said. “Why?” I asked. “Well boys, school starts Monday.” I turned to look at my mom so fast I almost got whip lash. I couldn’t believe summer vacation was over. Bobby’s mom turned around, smiled, and said, “Don’t you boys remember what tonight is? It’s the open house at the middle school!” Bobby and I both lit up like someone set fire to our backsides. “That’s right!! Mr. Klingaman here we come!”I hollered.
It was Wednesday and we had a lot of errands to run thank goodness Bobby and his mom where along for the ride.“Well Oliver, Friday is the last time this summer you can sleepover Bobby’s house.” Mom said. “Why?” I asked. “Well boys, school starts Monday.” I turned to look at my mom so fast I almost got whip lash. I couldn’t believe summer vacation was over. Bobby’s mom turned around, smiled, and said, “Don’t you boys remember what tonight is? It’s the open house at the middle school!” Bobby and I both lit up like someone set fire to our backsides. “That’s right!! Mr. Klingaman here we come!”I hollered.
When Tommy and Frank told us all about what happens at the open house. They made us swear we wouldn’t say anything. Tommy said that after the tour was over the parents stand around in the auditorium talking. The kids get twenty minutes to look anywhere in the school. Frank said we can look in drawers, closets, cupboards, and cubbies. Kids rule for twenty minutes.
Nothing is off limits, every year, one time, twenty minutes, and this year, it is our turn. Frank and Tommy told us about last years big finds.They said, Greg Mahoney opened the filing cabinet in the principal’s office and found a rotten apple core with a huge spider on it. Natalie Eldridge went to the science closet and found a baby pig in a jar filled with green liquid. Sarah Sanders found a three pound block of cheese, in the refrigerator with hair and mold on it. Charlie Cooper looked in the girl’s locker room he found a box marked, “Lost & Found” it was full of girls bras and panties.
Bobby and I have been thinking about where to go all summer. We decided we are going to go to Janitors closet and see what we could find in there. We just had to get through the day and the evening was ours. “So mom, where are we going?” I asked. Her reply was like listening to the principal talking on the pa. Both Bobby and I slouched in our seats. I leaned over to Bobby and
Bobby and I have been thinking about where to go all summer. We decided we are going to go to Janitors closet and see what we could find in there. We just had to get through the day and the evening was ours. “So mom, where are we going?” I asked. Her reply was like listening to the principal talking on the pa. Both Bobby and I slouched in our seats. I leaned over to Bobby and
whispered, “I can’t wait until this is over.” Bobby shrugged, “me too.”We spent all day jumping in and out of the car. Our moms pulled us by our collars, getting us out of the path of oncoming carts. Listening to them say look this is on sale, let’s check it out. Rounding out a perfectly awful day we had to wait in line twenty minutes before we could sit down, order, and eat our pizza.
When we finally got to the school Bobby and I ran up to the door. A poster stuck on the door read, “You’re just thirty minutes to Sneak-A-Peek! Come on in and take a seat.” Bobby and I grinned from ear to ear then we gave each other our secret handshake. We moved quickly so we could find a seat as close to the double doors as we could get. After the teachers were introduced, we watched the slideshow, and last the principal’s speech. It was finally time, they even handed us a map. I quickly marked a great big X where the janitor’s closet was. Bobby leaned over, grinned ear to ear and whispered, “Finally.” Principal Rackshaw stood up again and made the announcement. “One more thing!” he said. “Please be careful, do not to take, break, or smash anything.” Then he made all of us raise our right hand to the square. We swore not to tell anyone except the kids who were there and our parents about what we found. All the kids paired up in rows of two and lined up at the double doors. All that could be heard was giggling and the shuffling of feet. “Remember to listen for the buzzer; your twenty minutes begins now!” yelled Mr. Rackshaw. The school buzzer went off.
When we finally got to the school Bobby and I ran up to the door. A poster stuck on the door read, “You’re just thirty minutes to Sneak-A-Peek! Come on in and take a seat.” Bobby and I grinned from ear to ear then we gave each other our secret handshake. We moved quickly so we could find a seat as close to the double doors as we could get. After the teachers were introduced, we watched the slideshow, and last the principal’s speech. It was finally time, they even handed us a map. I quickly marked a great big X where the janitor’s closet was. Bobby leaned over, grinned ear to ear and whispered, “Finally.” Principal Rackshaw stood up again and made the announcement. “One more thing!” he said. “Please be careful, do not to take, break, or smash anything.” Then he made all of us raise our right hand to the square. We swore not to tell anyone except the kids who were there and our parents about what we found. All the kids paired up in rows of two and lined up at the double doors. All that could be heard was giggling and the shuffling of feet. “Remember to listen for the buzzer; your twenty minutes begins now!” yelled Mr. Rackshaw. The school buzzer went off.
Bobby and I took off like pop rockets on the fourth of July. We ran as fast as we could go.
There wasn't anyone in front of us to slow us down. When we finally reached the janitor’s closet Bobby yelled, “Bingo! We’ve got you Mr. Klingaman! Let’s see what you keep behind door number one!” Then he threw open the door. I just fell over laughing. I’ve seen Bobby act crazy but, not like that. As I leaned into the closet to begin my search a broom handle fell and hit me square on the head. Bobby almost wet his pants laughing. We looked around to see what could find. It was just the usual things you’d expect to find in a janitors closet. There were brooms,
dust cloths, pledge, Windex, floor cleaner, buckets, paper towels, and toilet paper.
There wasn’t anything special at all. Dashed and disappointed I asked Bobby, “Do you think we chose the wrong place to look?” Just then Bobby flipped on the light switch on. There before us was door number two. Bobby and I looked at each other and without another thought. Slowly we opened the squeaky closet door. There before our eyes marked very clearly above a sink built into the floor was a sign that said, “Dispose of vomit here.” There hanging on the wall was
Mr. Kingman’s boots, a container of what looked like cat litter, a mop, and a bucket clearly
marked none of your business. I dared Bobby to smell the mop to see what it smelled like.
He said it smelled like 100 year old vomit coming out of a troll’s mouth.
Not finding anything else we knew we had to look into the bucket. It was full of ABC (already been chewed) gum. I leaned against the door still disappointed. I heard a tack drop to the floor followed by a photograph. “Where did this come from?” Bobby asked. I looked behind the door and there was a third smaller door. Bobby looked at the photo. It was fantastic; the picture was of Mr. Klingaman. He held a sign that read ‘Siones Book of World’s Record holder for the largest ball of ABC gum July 12, 1980!’ Behind him was a mountain of gum. Mr. Ernie Klingaman was the Worlds record holder for the largest ball of ABC gum. Bobby and I held our breath opened the door and there it was the ball of gum.We knew no one could have ever gotten past the second room to make such a historical find.Just then the school bell rang.“We got it!!” I yelled at the top of my lungs.
It was the best Sneak-A-Peek secret in Lindyman Middle School history.”
Sneak- A-Peek [a story of a janitor’s secret]
written by: Alisa Lucas-Aka. Max Lucas
Copyright © 2008
Copyright © 2008
6 comments:
I'm sorry the post isn't in great form. My first posting on this blog.Forgive the newbie. I hope you enjoy the story. - Alisa
"Well,if it was the last thing we do this summer." - did put it in past tense
"but, if trouble was missing
we’d be the first to find it." - there is extra physical space in this sentence
"It was Wednesday and we had a lot of errands to run thank goodness Bobby and his mom where along for the ride." - 2 sentences
break up dialogue. every time you switch speakers make a new paragraph. the exception to this rule is extremely rare. an example of that is in my story TOM. unless you've got that sort of thing going - paragraph.
"sleepover Bobby’s house.” Mom said." - house comma end-quote Mom. it's one sentence.
"last years big finds." - year's
"They said, Greg Mahoney..." - no comma. unless you put quotes in.
watch your verb tenses. most of it is in past tense but you have a tendency to slip into present tense. keep it all the same.
"going to go to Janitors closet" - missing the. janitor's
"“So mom,..." - capitalize Mom.
"the pa" - PA
"I leaned over to Bobby and
whispered," - another physical gap
"grinned ear to ear and whispered," - physical gap
"We looked around to see what could find." - missing word
"There were brooms,
dust cloths, pledge," - gap
"flipped on the light switch on." - delete an on
"It was the best Sneak-A-Peek secret in Lindyman Middle School history.”" - why the " at the end?
eewwwww! abc gum (shudder) good story. i liked it. the excitement and the half disappointment of finding brooms and such.... gum... yuck... abc... i'm still shuddering. of course that shouldn't suprise anyone who knows me. i think gum is the most disgusting thing on the planet. especially abc gum... ugh... can i use the vomit sink now?
Thank-you so much for the imput.
I am glad you enjoyed the stories I have written. I do have terrible grammer. I use the tools buttons...
but, I guess it doesn't get everything.
I don't understand the correction "physical gap" what does that means?
Some of the mistakes I can see are
where I read and reread the story to often and the words and punctuation just got to be blurry.
Thanks for your imput... Keep me straight!! Maybe I WILL write a story and publish it...someday.
Keep writting-Alisa
I'm sorry that it took me so long to explore the past stories. This one was really cute. I thought there was a good build up to the discovery. I am horrible with punctuation myself, so you probably won't hear much from me on that point. My only suggestion is, be careful of flow. I have trouble with that. Otherwise this was really good. Thanks for sharing.
-Gail "Big Red"
I really got caught up in reading this Alisa. Great job! I love the build up of suspense before they actually find the prize. A part of me was afraid they'd find something gross. Thank goodness they didn't! :)
The section that described what kids had found in years past really got my imagination going. That was a great way to get the reader involved. High five!
Where did you ever come up with this idea. No school I'm aware of practices this ritual. Maybe they should. No telling what kids might find.
This is how you wrote it out:
"He said it smelled like 100 year old vomit coming out of a troll's mouth."
Here's my suggestion:
"He said it smelled like 100 year old Troll vomit."
This is shorter, but says the same thing.
Careful with wordiness. Try to say a lot with as few words as possible.
In other words:
Be succinct!
This is my favorite of your stories so far. Really terrific job!
Ken
by a physical gap i mean there really is a gap. like you inadvertantly hit the enter button. take a look at where i said they were
"but, if trouble was missing" the line ends here with lots of space after it and picks up again with
"we’d be the first to find it." on the next line
Post a Comment