I find it interesting to note that Themis is one of the twelve Titans, a daughter of Ouranos and Gaia. I used her as my heroine because Libra is personified by the golden scales, and it is difficult for scales to have an adventure.
Themis wandered the beach, her head swaying back and forth as she searched the sand. "Where could they have gotten to?" she said to no one in particular. A gentle wind blew through her hair.
"For what do you search?"
Themis looked up from the beach to see Ouranos. "Oh, Father Sky! I have lost my golden scales!" Tears welled up in the goddesses eyes.
He smiled. "I will help you find them."
They searched the whole island. Ouranos even used the air to detect them, but they were nowhere to be found. "I will ask Gaia." He bent to the earth and called her name.
Gaia rose from the beach and brushed the sand off her clothes. "What is the matter?"
"Mother Earth, have you seen my golden scales?" asked Themis.
"No, but if they lie upon the earth, I will find them." She sank back into the earth. She rose again a few minutes later. "I could not find them definitely, but I think I found someone who can help you."
Gaia took Themis and Ouranos by the hands and they entered the earth together. They emerged in an underground cavern. "Where are we?" asked Themis.
"Under the island. A race of Dwarves live here."
"Dwarves? I thought they were a myth."
"So did I. They haven't been here long. According to the earth, they just appeared one day."
A Dwarf rounded the bend and the deities hid in a crevice. The Dwarf stopped, stood there a moment and moved on. They followed.
The Dwarf led them through a series of tunnels to a cavern so large that the edges of it disappeared in the distance. The cavern floor looked like a small city. The Dwarves had built stone buildings laid out in neat rows. There were thousands of glowing orbs along the cavern walls and on the buildings and ceiling. The ceiling was so high they looked like stars. The god and goddesses hesitated at the tunnel mouth, unsure whether it was safe to make their presence known. The Dwarf they had been following, turned and beckoned for them to follow him.
Themis gasped. "How did he know we were here?"
Gaia and Ouranos exchanged looks, shrugged, and followed the Dwarf. The god and goddesses followed a street called Quartz Avenue to the center of the city. There was a big open square with many Dwarves crowded around a raised dais. On the dais were...
"My scales!" said Themis pushing her way through the throng. Many of the Dwarves had heard her outcry and moved aside for her. Themis broke through and, laughing with relief, picked up the scales.
The Dwarf who had been showcasing the scales, cleared his throat. "Excuse me, but those belong to me."
"They belong to Themis," said Ouranos.
"Themis who?"
"Goddess of Justice."
Many of the Dwarves started murmuring. The Dwarf on the dais maintained his cool. "Prove it."
"These scales were given to me by Mother Earth and Father Sky. They represent absolute justice. They measure anything."
"Yes, I know," said the Dwarf. "I was just demonstrating the balance of grain and copper. Even though the physical weight is different, the value of one against the other still equal out."
"That is not all they do."
"What do you mean?"
"Is there someone here who has a dispute or a criminal who needs punishment?" Themis asked the crowd.
The Dwarves looked at each other and spoke among themselves. A few of them pushed the Dwarf, that Themis and her parents had followed in the tunnels, forward.
He removed his helmet and made a small respectful bow. "You and Gorthos here," he pointed to the claimer of the scales, "have a dispute that needs settling."
Gaia and Ouranos nodded. Themis smiled. "You are right. On one side of the scale, I put my claim, and on the other, I put Gorthos's claim."
Themis's side dropped down.
Gorthos scowled. "There's nothing on the scale."
"Yes, there is. It tipped. If I remove the claims, it balances." The scale was now even. "The scales also measure justice itself against mercy. I'll tell you what, I replace my just claim, and on the other side, I put a replacement for your loss of the scales for mercy. They are even."
Gorthos's eyes narrow. "Another set of golden scales?"
"Or something of equal value."
Gorthos thought about this. "It's fair."
Ouranos and Gaia put their hands together and a second set of golden scales appeared. They gave them to Gorthos, who set them on the dais where Themis's scales had been. "On one side, we have scales for our use, on the other, scales for all people," he said. The scales were balanced.
That night Ouranos put another set of scales in the sky, the constellation Libra, where they can be seen and used by anyone who needs them.
Elizabeth Williamson Copyright © 2008
3 comments:
Wow Beth. Nicely done! I like this story for a lot of reasons. I appreciate how you've been able to work in all the elements Alisa laid out for us too.
I especially liked the mental image of the mother goddess rising out of the beach and dusting herself off. That made me smile.
I did wonder what was illuminating the tunnels and underworld city. How did they see?
"The Dwarves looked at each other, spoke among themselves and pushed the Dwarf Themis and her parents had followed in the tunnels, forward.
• You're missing a comma after "themselves," and "Dwarf"
• This part of the sentence doesn't make sense:
"...and her parents had followed in the tunnels, forward."
• I'd also make that sentence two. The Dwarves whisper amongst themselves (one sentence). Then one or several Dwarves shunt Themis and Gorthos forward (sentence two).
"... have a dispute that need settling."
• need(s)
"Many of the Dwarves had heard her outcry and made a pah for her."
• and made a PATH for her?
"I replace my claim, and, on the other side, I put a replacement for your loss of the scales and they are even."
• You don't need a comma after 'and': "... and on the other side," (Read it out loud and hear how it sounds with and without the comma.)
There is a fundamental flaw in the conclusion of your story (concerning the Justice of Gorthos' claim), but I'll e-mail you about that, and we can discuss it. Overall, I really liked your story Beth.
does that clear things up a bit?
Oh, nice job!
I really enjoyed the way you think- making movement fluid through to the inner earth. etc.
I also like the fact that you brought the reader to think to look into the nights sky and look for Libra. -
Balance of scales good too.
-Thanks for running with the theme.
-Alisa
Post a Comment