Everyone told me it would be a once in a lifetime experience to travel. This just goes to show that you shouldn’t make life decisions based on other people’s opinions. Today was just another example of how utterly fouled up my life has become.
I just received a stellar-gram from my wife today. Commander Marsh told me to wait until after the party to read it. Did I listen? “NO!” My wife informs me that in my absence of eight months, three weeks, and four days ago; she has given birth to my bouncing baby boy. He has curly red hair (like mine), a birth mark on the tip of his nose (like mine), and very large feet (like mine). She says she was hoping he would look more like her. My family has such dominant genes. She says didn’t sign up for this kind of shenanigans and she’s had enough. She was done.
I thought maybe this might be just another one of those syndromes you read about when women go through a birth of a child. Post Partum depression or something. What can I do from all the way out here? She knew that this was what I went to school for. I couldn’t just leave my post. There was nothing that I could do. How do I explain to her that this job hasn’t been a bed of roses?
I spend most of my time trying to keep the women off my lap, removing their fingertips from my hair… isn’t that enough? I am constantly juggling between work and home. She doesn’t even consider how difficult my job can be here. Of course these are things I don’t dare mention to her. What about me? What about my feelings? I am constantly trying to satisfy the needs and keep up moral of my co-workers. I am certain she doesn’t realize how difficult it can be getting supplies out here. It is a logistical nightmare. When I get flustered and upset; I often find myself being laughed at …. NO ONE takes me seriously! What does she want me to do drop everything and just fly home? Like that is even an option.
Just last week, I was reviewing my program with one of the female staff members. She told me she just found out her fiancé changed his mind. He wasn’t going to get married to her. He was going to marry his sister. I gasped, she went on to tell me he had been living with her and his parents for the last eight years. With his fiancé being absent he has decided he didn’t want to wait for children and a family so the wedding was off. He is going to marry his sister. I was horrified, for her. Embarrassed even, she finally explained that the brother sister duo were only brother and sister legally. She was adopted by his family at the age of eleven years old. It was still awful in my eyes. I tried to console her; I told her I would show her a trick or two. She thought I was trying to make advancements toward her. What a horrible thought. I’m married I profusely explained. She said I waved about like Kermit the frog. She said she could never work on another program with me again.
Two weeks ago one of the senior staff nearly killed a crew member for removing his plate from the table before he was finished with his meal. He said that the crew member was only after his Winkie Cakes.
To make things worse yesterday, while running on the treadmill I was given a very graphic offer of an evening rendezvous with one of the grease monkeys of the motor pool. It gives new meaning to the Don’t Ask Don’t Tell policy.
This place is a nightmare. I don’t want to be here anymore than she wants me to be; but, I am under contract. I thought for the mega money offered with this job it would be a piece of cake. No one told me these people were so strange. No wonder the money was so good.
Here I am. All I can keep telling myself is that it is only a twelve month tour. I can survive. It’s almost over, but, what if they extend me for doing such a good job. What if they see I am the only sane one here? I have kept up some pretty good disguises. She’s mad at me because my son looks like me??!! What can I do about that?
That’s it! I exclaimed. I ran over to the escape hatch and just as I began to pull release arm. Commander Marsh placed a hand on my shoulder and said, “Son don’t, you’ll kill us all”. I let go of the handle and sat down where I once stood.
Commander Marsh took me aside and said that he could put me on the next shuttle out if I could pull myself together. He reminded me, “There was no one to blame and that seeing me again would bring my wife such great joy”. He said. “I had done my duty with dignity and pride.” I felt a surge of renewal. I knew I had my duty to perform; just one more program. The commander had renewed my sense of duty and he understood. I’ll do it! It will be the greatest show in space. No, I didn’t have any elephants, or cannons, or acrobats; but no one will ever perform as well as I will. Who could blame the first clown in space for being upset? I was proud; my newborns son destiny was the same as my own. We could be the first father son act in space. No matter what, there is no denying that bouncing baby boy is my son. From his curly red hair, his oversized feet, and the red dot on his bulbous little nose. I am proud to be his father, and I am going home. We are clowns and I know that my son and I will carry on the family legacy. From this moment forward just as my father’s father taught him; I will teach my son. We will perform with the same energy and pride as I do today. Everything will work out ok. She loves me and she will love our son. So here I go… I fluffed up my hair, gathered my balloon animals, grabbed my juggling balls and entered the room. "Folks," I hollered, “THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!”
Alisa Lucas - Aka. Max Lucas
"The Show Must Go On..."
[Space Opera-Short Story]
Copyright © 2008
6 comments:
I had a suspicion about 3/4 of the way into the story about what his 'job' was. Didn't realize that they had that hard of a life. Live and learn.
I'd drop out the "(just like mine)" comments and leave in the part where he says, "My family has such dominant genes". That says it all, without being repetitive.
His wife was going to divorce him because her son would grow up to be like his father? Is she incredibly SHALLOW or what? She knew what he was when she married him? Where does this line of thinking come into play? And didn't they discuss his going away for 12 months? Didn't she agree to it? I'm horrified and confused.
Commander Marsh gives him the letter explaining that he should wait to read it, until after the party, but he doesn't listen, and... there's no follow up; we don't see how it affects him on the job. What's the consequence (outcome) of his reading it?
Did you put the 'keeping the women off my lap', the 'guy marries his sister', and the 'Grease Monkey' story in there for shock value? I'm a little depressed. You'd think someone in his line of work would make people comfortable in the midst of chaos, not sex crazed.
What is he exclaiming "That's it!" to?
This also seems to be out of the context of the story. We're reading his journal entry (or, we're in his head), then suddenly we see him running for the Air Lock? This jump in context doesn't seem consistent with the rest of the story. The end, where he steps out into the crowded room with his equipment does the same thing. We're thrown out of his narrative into his acting it out. My suggestion is that you either write it out as a story, or as a journal entry (narrative), but mixing them up like this becomes confusing.
Well written to be sure, and I love the hints you drop throughout the story only to drop the bomb at the very end. Very well done!
I'm sad that this story about such a pleasant fellow is so depressing. I'm not even sure what to think at the end, does his wife divorce him anyway? Does he ever get to work with his son? These unanswered questions still make me feel like it's not a happy ending in spite of his resolve to make things work out. Though I have to say, I give high praise to anyone who can rise above all odds and do the right thing in spite of all the bad that happens to him. In that regard it's a very happy ending.
So, in other words I'm conflicted. Nothing new there, huh?
Good work 'Max'. Thanks for continuing to participate. It takes guts, especially knowing that I'm such a hard critic. Sorry if I come across as harsh, I just really want your work to improve, as I know it will. I know it because I've already seen the diversity of your work. You're willing to push yourself, try new things. I'm impressed. Keep up the good work!
Sorry for the novel. Let me know if you make revisions. I'll re-read it.
No, no revisions... but, thanks.
Ken - I was thinking Soap Opera when the theme was put to us; So the story line was with many Soap Opera story line oddities. sex-mania-and fear of divorce-near death.
I agree on the just like mine comment.It really gives these things away.
I tried to work in the post pregnancy thought process of her being alone in such times as delivery of her newborn.
Commanders usually know all - military perspective i guess. But, the follow up was that the commander told him that he could be removed from duty just after the party to go help his wife and reconnect with her. Know this the commander gives him hope to carry on.
I also have difficulty with pasts and presents in format of my writting.
I think I was hoping to change this with my journal entry style as you call it.
Maybe better luck next time.(for me)
This has been incredibly fun for me. I am not as serious in context as many of your comrads. However, I do enjoy the creative process. Its a bit of a dream to me. - Alisa
Alisa,
I see what you were thinking. Makes sense to me now. Thanks for clearing that up.
I didn't get the impression he was giving him leave time to go home.
Past and present get me too. I'm certain you're not alone there.
I'm genuinely glad that you're enjoying the writing process. This Blog is really what that is all about. I'm sorry that I take it too seriously, and by virtue, act like the writing police. My hope, as I've said a thousand times, is to be helpful. I hope I won't discourage you from writing with my critiques. I learn a lot from all of your critiques. And hopefully I'm learning to not repeat some of the ridiculous mistakes I make.
If you feel like my critiques aren't useful, I'll cut it out. Just let me know.
I'm really enjoying your work, so please continue to write. I can't wait to see what you do for your Halloween Tale. Have fun!
No biggy, I am a big girl.
I enjoy reading where I can improve. I hope that my stories although different view from the other writters will be accepted.
These are my stories and this is how I like to express myself.
There is so much talent on this blog. I often feel like I have a mountian to climb before reaching the level you all are at.
But, as long as I am welcome I am going to continue to write and enjoy these stories. - Alisa
"She says didn’t sign up for this kind of shenanigans" - she says SHE didn't...
"What does she want me to do drop everything" - ? after do, Drop starts new sentence
"He wasn’t going to get married to her." - going to MARRY her
"“There was no one to blame and that seeing me again would bring my wife such great joy”. He said. “I had done my duty with dignity and pride.”" - everywhere else "" aren't used but they are here. it's inconsistant
"my newborns son destiny" - either my newborn's destiny or my newborn son's destiny
that was certainly amusing. it's a good fun story
don't downplay your stuff. your stories are good
Thanks Beth and Ken:
I appreciate all of the continued support and intel. You both are so talented. I learn each time everyone writes. I wish I could gain imput from the others too.
-Alisa
Post a Comment